Are You Creating the Happiness You Want in Your Life?May 21, 2012
“The Pursuit of Happiness”-what does this mean to you?
I was asked a question recently by one of my listeners that I answered on my last radio program: “How do you create happiness in your life?” Chris asked. You can stop reading now and listen to my live radio response by clicking HERE. Or keep reading… it won’t be verbatim but it gets the general idea across.
My answer to this question is to ask yourself 5 questions that will help you be more aware of what you are doing (or not doing) to consciously create more happiness in your life.
Keep in mind that this is not about trying to control your external circumstances. As long as that is what you focus on, you will never be consciously creating your experience. You will see yourself as a victim and happiness is much more elusive when you are in victim mode.
I hope that considering these questions allows you to become more aware of your role in your life and feel more powerful that you can create more of what you want.
How many of these questions do you answer YES to?
- Are you choosing to be happy? Be clear with yourself about this. Are you choosing this or is it more important to “be right”, be in control, blame and judge others, complain and/or dwell on the past and worry about the future?
- Are you focusing on the good, the positive in a moment? Or are you staying with negative, fearful, self-defeating thoughts? It may be easier to stay with those negative thoughts, but it is still a choice. You can choose to do it differently.
- Are there people, experiences, moments etc. that you are grateful for? Right now? Everyday, even on the bad days, the tough moments?
- Are you ready to let go and open up? Are you willing to let go of your excuses, your past, your expectations, your resistance to change and your old story? Are you choosing to open up to possibility, change, magic and unexpected surprises? You can’t fully open up until you let go.
- Do you have compassion for others? Compassion not only can lead to action, but it shifts the energy in our interactions with others. Do you, in some way, contribute to another’s well being and/or the well being of humanity, life, the planet? When you have compassion this just naturally evolves.
The reality is that there will be tough moments in your life, things will happen that aren’t what you wanted or expected. “Being happy” is not a finite end state that once attained is secure and unchanging.
Creating happiness is a way of being in the world, an awareness that your life has meaning and that you create your story in each moment. The more you answer yes to the questions above, the more likely you will create more happiness in your life. I will add that this sense of happiness tends to go hand in hand with feelings of connection with others, a sense of gratitude for what is and a sense that there is a bigger picture than you have been seeing.
The great news is that you can choose to do any of these things in a moment. Try it and see what happens and feel free to comment below.
And, of course, if you have a question you want answered on The Dr Laura Ciel Show post it on my FaceBook Page NOW and maybe it will make it on the show!